ANDERSON ENCOURAGES TAMWORTH RESIDENTS TO CONSIDER EMOTIONAL BURDEN OF DIABETES DURING NATIONAL DIABETES WEEK
Member for Tamworth Kevin Anderson is calling on Tamworth residents to consider the emotional toll that diabetes can have on people living with or caring for someone with diabetes this National Diabetes Week, 13 to 19 July.
Mr Anderson said in the Tamworth electorate alone, there are approximately 3,250 people living with diabetes.
“The psychological side-effects of living with diabetes can often be neglected or underestimated, particularly upon diagnosis.
“A recent survey conducted by Diabetes NSW on 150 of its members indicated that many people living with diabetes experienced a range of negative emotions when first diagnosed,” Mr Anderson said.
Simple tips from Diabetes NSW to keep a healthy body and mind:
- Make sure to stay active. Regular exercise can improve your health and fitness, as well as your mood. Catch up with friends for a fitness group session, or take your dog for a walk outside.
- Get plenty of sleep. Eight hours a night will help you function at your best the next day.
- Reduce your alcohol intake as it can affect the way you handle daily stress.
- Allow yourself to feel emotions so you do not become overwhelmed. Schedule regular time to process your day and any problems that may have come your way.
- Eat a healthy diet full of fresh vegetables and fruits, and remember to drink two litres of water each day to keep your body happy.
‘It concerns me to think that locals from the Tamworth area with diabetes are faced with a range of challenges and complications that can impact their emotional wellbeing, not just their physical health, and that these are often overlooked.
“People should not feel alone in their diagnosis. We must recognise that looking after ourselves emotionally is just as important as looking after ourselves physically, particularly when dealing with a diabetes diagnosis. Make sure you are able to talk to someone about you’re feeling,” Mr Anderson said.
For more information about Diabetes NSW activities and events during National Diabetes Week visit www.diabetesnsw.com.au
People who are concerned about diabetes and would like to speak with an expert can also call Diabetes NSW toll free on 1300 342 238.