ANDERSON ANNOUNCES $50,000 TO STEER TAMWORTH YOUTH AWAY FROM CRIME
Member for Tamworth Kevin Anderson today announced $50,000 in NSW Government funding for Tamworth Regional Council to run a program in an effort to engage young people and reduce crime.
“Building on the success of last year’s Friday Night Lights program, council will encourage at-risk young people to get involved in positive social events after dark,” Mr Anderson said.
The 12-week program will include workshops for youth who have disengaged from school and early intervention activities for children under 12.
“This is about providing young people with a supportive environment where they can have fun without getting into trouble,” Mr Anderson said.
The funding comes following Mr Anderson’s move to crack down on youth crime in the Tamworth area after concerned Bridge Street business operators fell victim to a spate of vandalism along the busy street in recent times.
“Programs like this are just one part of the puzzle, we need to continue to look at how we engage with these young people to drive down anti-social behaviour in our community.”
The activities will be held at Tamworth Regional Youth Centre. The youth centre is a $3million purpose-built facility that includes a performance space, 200-seat auditorium, gaming and computer equipment and education rooms.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Justice and Police Troy Grant said the program is funded by the NSW Government’s Safer Community Compact program which provides up to $1.369million each year to help councils deliver grassroots solutions to crime.
“The Safer Community Compact grant program recognises local people who understand the crime problems facing their community and play an important role in addressing them,” Mr Grant concluded.